Black Friday Brunch Series: Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes
Thanksgiving is a day filled with family laughter and of course food. Yet event with a house full of hungry guests, there still seems to always be leftovers, and for this we are thankful. There are many ways you can turn your holiday leftovers into new tasty dishes. Our bed and breakfast is located in the heart of Lancaster County and we are grateful for the abundance of fresh local ingredients that can be found throughout the county. We use these ingredients to create scrumptious breakfast options.
To help you recharge the weary Black Friday shoppers in your house, we are offering you two easy Thanksgiving leftover recipes in our Black Friday Brunch Series that will turn your turkey leftovers into delicious brunch meals. The first recipe in our Black Friday Brunch Series takes your standard waffles to a whole new level. These ultimate Thanksgiving Leftover Melts will delight everyone in this Black Friday.
MASHED POTATO WAFFLE, CRISPY TURKEY, SMASHED AVOCADO, CRANBERRY & BRIE MELTS
Parmesan Mashed Potato Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4-5 sage leaves, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Leftover turkey (enough for 4 triangles)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 avocado, lightly mashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces brie, sliced (or more!)
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- 8 slices cooked thick cut bacon (optional)
- 4 eggs, cooked to your liking (optional)
To make the waffles:
- In a medium bowl whisj tohetger the mashed potatoes, buttermilk, eggs and melted butter unitl smooth. Stir in the minced sage.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and stir until just combined. Fold in the parmesan cheese.
- Preheat waffle iron. When ready scoop the batter (you will need to spread the batter out using the back of a spoon) into the hot, greased waffle maker and cook to your preference. Repeat with the remaining batter. The batter should make about 4-5 waffles, depending on you waffle maker.
- Tear 2 of those waffles into fourths. If you are using a square waffles just leave them whole.
Prep the sandwiches:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Once hot add the turkey and get it buttery and crisp all over, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the avocado to a bowl and lightly mash with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Assemble the sandwiches.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place the waffles on the baking sheet.
- Spread the mashed avocado on four of the waffle triangles (or squares or whatever shape you have).
- Top with sliced brie, then the warm buttery turkey, a dollop of cranberry sauce and two slices of bacon (if using).
- Now grab the tops to the sandwiches (the remaining four triangles) and add a slice or two of brie.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes, watching closely to make sure the brie is not getting too melty! During this time fry the eggs.
- Remove from the oven and top each triangle with one egg and then place the tops on the sandwiches.
Recipe courtesy of Half Baked Harvest
Share with us your crowd’s reaction to these tasty melts in the comments below and by using the hashtag #BlackFridayBrunch on social media. We will be sharing another Black Friday Brunch recipe in the coming weeks so stay tuned!